Saturday, January 2, 2010

Not a Happy New Year!

I waited until today, January 2, to write. This way I am not tempted to say Happy New Year like every other blogger in the world. We started off the day yesterday at Vail. THe internet told us that Blue Sky was to open. So got on an un-godly long catwalk early in the day just to be told
"oh, it will open at noon." DAMN. My quads were already under stress from the catwalk and then I went somewhere WAY beyond my level. Who says you get wiser as you get older. I should've known not to go down that slope looking at all the skiers falling. Oh well.
Back at the condo we napped then went for a short run to start the year off right. Heading out the parking lot we saw 3-4 moose standing in the road. They are bigger than me, not by much, so I decided we should just go another way around. As we made the loop back there was a Jeep in the road ~ where we saw the moose. Sure enough they were still in the road. I ran up to the passenger side of the Jeep and told the driver we were going to use him for cover. He replied that evrytime he moved forward the moose went back into the road. He was going to back up and go the way we just came. DAMN, that retracing of the run doubled the distance. But it was not too more effort. But I had to run up the hill I just came down and at 9800' uphill is really not my friend! So getting home Cindy immediately looked up Moose attacks. What she really needs to look up is husband attacks!

3 comments:

Scheri said...

I think you could have taken that moose ;-) Glad to hear you guys are having a great time!

John O said...

NOt sure about that. Ever see a moose run?

brownie said...

Karl Meltzer had a run in with a moose as well. It's a sign that you should try a mountain hundred miler this year.